Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Putting is my downfall

Of all the ways that golf can frustrate the beginning golfer -- and there are many -- this week none compared with the vexing art of putting. All the good shots from the tee on seem wasted once you get on the green and you need a million shots just to triangulate the hole, even though you can see that IT'S RIGHT THERE! IT'S RIGHT FRICKIN' THERE!

Hole 2 at Village Greens in Sinking Spring, Pa.
That water hazard is only there after hurricanes.
In a good week, I'll play the par-56 Village Greens course on a Monday or Tuesday, so I have time later to play a more challenging par-70(ish) course. As I've mentioned before, courses that are heavy with par-3 holes are great for beginners, providing the right amount of challenge without making you feel you have to crush the ball.

Where the game gets vexing -- as it does on any course, no matter the length -- is on the green. After last week, when I shot 101 (which is, yes, still 45 over par), I felt confident I could break 100 on Monday. The weather was nice, I was more familiar with the course and something has to be said for all the golf I've been playing. Right?

Right?

As it turns out, no. During play I never bothered adding up my score. I simply recorded my strokes at the end of each hole, relaxed and assured that I was having a good day on the course. When I checked my round score after getting a 7 on the rather difficult 18th hole (two previous scores there were 8 and 10), I was surprised to find I had shot a 104, three strokes worse than last week.

Then I counted my putts at each hole and I wasn't surprised anymore.

I three-putted the first hole for a 5, but managed to par hole 2 after getting my tee shot on the green and a pair of well-executed putts. Those must have been the exceptions of the day; only once more on the front nine was I able to two-putt, and I finished that hole with a 5. I two-putted two other holes on the back nine. On hole 13, when I once again hit the green from the tee, it took me three putts to finish the hole with a bogey.

I know a birdie at this stage of my playing is unrealistic. But a par would have been nice.

I can't blame just the putting. Many chip shots put me on the green so far out of range of the hole that one-putting was unrealistic. Had I played a better short game, I might not have needed so many putts to finish the hole. In one forgettable case, I two-putted the ball to the lip of the hole, but it wouldn't budge.

Caddyshack Explosion
Where's Bill Murray's Carl from "Caddyshack" when you need him?
The best part of the day was my ignorance of the actual score until I finished my round. It made for a much more relaxing round. And relaxation is key when you need three putts (and in one horrible case, four) to finish a hole.

Here's my scorecard, along with the ignominious putting statistics. I still hope to be able to break 100 at Village Greens before the end of the year.



Next round will probably be back at Village Greens. Now I only have to beat a 104.

No comments:

Post a Comment