Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The day I retired my woods -- for now

I have started a Golfing Noob Tumblr account, where I chronicled last week's outing at Rich Maiden, a lovely 18-hole course near Fleetwood, Pa.

The biggest discovery I made was that I hit my 3-iron off the tee better than my driver or even my 3-wood. So for the entire back nine, I kept all my woods in the bag (with one exception: Once I used the 5-wood on the fairway). The result was better, but it still highlighted my woeful short game an lack of putting skills.

I ended the day with a 152 -- better than my all-time high of 156, but still a terrible score.

The round helped me clarify some of my goals for the remainder of this year:

  • Shoot double-par or better on a par-70 course;
  • Break 100 at Village Greens, which has a par of 56;
  • Cut my three-putts in half. 

That third goal is inextricably linked to the first two. They say beginning golfers should practice putting more than driving. Oh brother is that true.

Here's a look at Thursday's game, by the numbers:




No comments:

Post a Comment